Date of Birth: 17.02.1963
Professor, Doctor of Science, Head of Dept. Biophysics and Biochemistry Oles` Honchar Dnepropetrovsk National University
Mailing Adress Prof. Galyna A. Ushakova
Dept. Biophysics and Biochemistry,
Oles` Honchar Dnepropetrovsk National University
72 Gagarin ave., Dnepropetrovsk, 49050
e-mail: email@example.com, +38 067-6323613, +38 066-3091386
1983-1988 – Dnepropetrovsk State University (Ukraine), Biological Faculty, Biochemist (Doctor)
1988-1991 – PhD courses Dniepropetrovsk State University Dept. Biophysics and Biochemistry, Candidate of Biological Sciences (PhD)
Title of PhD thesis: “Characterization of neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) and glial fibrillary acid protein (GFAP) in various rat brain areas under neurogenic stress and drug effects”
2003-2005 – Post-doctoral position Dnepropetrovsk National University, International Centre of Molecular Physiology (Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev), Doctor of Science
Title of DocSci thesis: “The role of glycosaminoglycan-binding proteins in the brain morphogenesis and plasticity”
2007 – Degree Professor of Biochemistry
1992-1993 – Assistant of Professor, Dept. Biophysics and Biochemistry Dnepropetrovsk State University,
1994-2003 – Associate of Professor, Dept, Biophysics and Biochemistry Dnepropetrovsk State University,
2005-2014 – Professor, Dept. Biophysics and Biochemistry Oles` Honchar Dnepropetrovsk National University
2014- present time – Head of Dept. Biophysics and Biochemistry Oles` Honchar Dnepropetrovsk National University
Major fields of training and research experience:
Neurochemistry, immunochemistry, immunohisto- and cytochemistry, biochemistry of proteins, neuropathology, radiobiology, developmental neurobiology, cell and molecular biology
Fields of interest
Biochemical and molecular mechanism of neurodegeneration caused by visceral diseases (hepatic and pancreatic encephalopathy), prediction of neurodegeneration, natural antioxidants as neuroprotective substance. Brain-Gut Axis.
Ukrainian Biochemical Society
Ukrainian Society of Cell Biology
Ukrainian Society of Neuroscience
FENS (Federation of European Neuroscience Society)
IBRO (International Brain Research Organization)
FEBS (Federation of European Biochemical Society
Awards and Visiting Grants
1988 Awards of Ukrainian Academy of Science for Young Scientist
1993 October, Bath University (Great Britain), Grant of ISN (International Society for Neurochemistry)
1994 Grant of Soros Foundation (Montreal, Canada)
1994 NATO Advanced Study Institute “ Organization of the Early vertebrate Embryo”, Spetsai, Greece
1995 ISF Grant for Conference on “Molecular biology of cellular interactions”, Lenggries, Germany
1998 ISF Grant for European Conference: Research Neural Mechanisms of Learning and Memory, Acquafredda di Maratea, Italy
1999 July, IBRO Grant, Jerusalem, Israil
1999 Grant for 17th ISN/13th ESN Meeting, Berlin, Germany
2001 January-February, Grant of ISDN, Sydne, Avsralia
2004-2008 Visby programme of Swedish Institute (Lund University, Dept, Cell and Organism Biology, Sweden)
2008 January, Invited Lectures, Copenhagen University, Denmark
2011 PK Study in Pigs to evaluate activity and stability of Amylase and Lipase from Liprotamase capsules (Lonza batch) in the chime samples from EPI pigs, , Lund University, SGPlus, Sweden
2012 Allena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Testing Oral Therapy with Crystalline Oxalate Decarboxylase (OxDc) in a pig model of EH (KOX3), Lund, Sweden
2012 The effect of enzyme contained diet to neuroplasticity of pigs under experimental exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, Lund University, Sweden
2011-2012 The long-term dietary effect of 2-oxoglutarate and pancreatic enzymes to old gerbils, Lund University, SGPlus, Sweden
2013 The effects of pancreatic – like enzymes of microbial origin on the brain structure and function in young exocrine pancreatic insufficient pigs, Lund University, SGPlus, Sweden
2014 AKG and pancreatic-like enzymes as a anti-aging factor from functional food, Lund University, SGPlus, Sweden.
2015 Alcresta Inc. Evaluation of a preterm enteral feeding in-line cartridge (PrEFIC) used to administer infant formula in a preterm porcine model that mimics human preterm infants (BF04), Warsaw, Poland
- Lebed YV, Orlovsky MA, Nikonenko AG, Ushakova GA, Skibo GG. Early reaction of astroglial cells in rat hippocampus to streptozotocin-induced diabetes (2008) Neurosci Lett. 24;444(2):181-185.
- Ushakova G.A., Fomenko O.Z., and S.G. Pierzynowski Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis induce а decreas the S100-b in level in the rat brain (2008) Neirofiziologiya /Neurophysiology. 40, №4: 373–375.
- Kruchynenko and Ushakova G. Effect of chronic intoxication with cadmium on the level of metallothionein in the rat hippocampus (2008)Neirofiziologiya /Neurophysiology, 40, № 5/6: 426-428
- Ushakova G, Fed’kiv O, Prykhod’ko O, Pierzynowski S, Kruszewska D. The effect of long-term lactobacilli (lactic acid bacteria) enteral treatment on the central nervous system of growing rats (2009) J Nutr Biochem. 20(9):677-684
- Ushakova, G.A., Kruchinenko, O.A. Peculiarities of the Molecular Structure and Functions of Metallothioneins in the Central Nervous System (2009) Neirofiziologiya /Neurophysiology 41, N5: 419-428
- Fomenko, G. Ushakova and S. Pierzynowski. The changes of GFAP level in the rat brain under chronic hepatitis C condition and effect of the alfa-ketoglutarate. The abstract book of a FEBS/EMBO Lecture Course “The cytoskeleton in development and pathology”, Djurönäs, Stockholm Archipelago, Sweden, June 19-24, 2010, p. 156.
- Fomenko, G. Ushakova, S. Pierzynowski. The changes of S100b level in the rat brain under chronic hepatitis C condition and effect of the alfa-ketoglutarate. The abstract book of COST B30 Training School “Cellular neuropathology: in vitro model”, June 2010, p. 35.
- Kovalenko TN, Ushakova GA, Osadchenko I, Skibo GG, Pierzynowski SG.The neuroprotective effect of 2-oxoglutarate in the experimental ischemia of hippocampus (2011) J Physiol Pharmacol. 62(2):239-46.
- Ushakova G., Fomenko O., Pierzynowski S. Non-invasive markers of hepatic encephalopathy under chronic hepatitis C and 2-oxoglutarate treatment (2010) Annales Universitatis Mariae Curie-Sklodowska”, SECTIO DDD. 23, № 3: 203–206.
- Ushakova G. A., Fomenko O. Z., Pierzynowski S.G Changes in the Levels of Neurospecific Proteins and in Behavioral Phenomena in Rats with Hepatic Encephalopathy (2011) Neirofiziologiya/Neurophysiology, 43, N 3: 231-234.
- Suvaryan A.L., Ushakova G.A. Changes in the Level of Neuronal Cell Adhesion Molecule in the Brain of Male Rats under Conditions of Suppression of Production of Testosterone (2012) Neirofiziologiya /Neurophysiology , 44 (1): 76-78
- S. Pierzynowski, K. Szwiec, J. L. Valverde Piedra, D. Gruijc, S. Szymanczyk, P. Swieboda, O. Prykhodko, O. Fedkiv, D. Kruszewska, R. Filip, J. Botermans, J. Svendsen, G Ushakova, T. Kovalenko, I. Osadchenko, K. Goncharova, G. Skibo and B. Westrom Exogenous pancreatic-like enzymes are recovered in the gut and improve growth of exocrine pancreatic insufficient pigs (2012) J ANIM SCI, 90:324-326.
- Pierzynowski, P. Swieboda, R. Filip, K. Szwiec, J. L. Valverde Piedra, D. Gruijc, O. Prykhodko, O. Fedkiv, D. Kruszewska, J. Botermans, J. Svendsen, G. Skibo, T. Kovalenko, I. Osadchenko, K. Goncharova, G. Ushakova and B. Westrom. Behavioral changes in response to feeding pancreatic-like enzymes to exocrine pancreatic insufficiency pigs (2012) J ANIM SCI, 90:439-441.
- Fomenko, O.Z., Ushakova, G.O., Pierzynowski, S.G. Proteins of astroglia in the rat brain under experimental chronic hepatitis and 2-oxoglutarate effect (2011) Ukr Biokhim Zh., 83, № 1: 69–75
- Makarchuk, V.A., Ushakova, G.O., Krylova, O.O. The glutathione system in the blood of rats and morphological changes of the pancreas under experimental acute and chronic pancreatitis (2013) Ukr Biokhim Zh 85, № 1: 45–52.
- Pierzynowski S, Ushakova G, Kovalenko T, Osadchenko I, Goncharova K, Gustavsson P, Prykhodko O, Wolinski J, Slupecka M, Ochniewicz P, Weström B, Skibo G. Impact of colostrum and plasma immunoglobulin intake on hippocampus structure during early postnatal development in pigs. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2014 Mar 15. pii: S0736-5748(14)00037-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijdevneu.2014.03.003.
- Goncharova K1, Pierzynowski SG1, Grujic D2, Kirko S3, Szwiec K1, Wang J1, Kovalenko T4, Osadchenko I4, Ushakova G5, Shmigel H6, Fedkiv O7, Majda B1, Prykhodko O A piglet with surgically induced exocrine pancreatic insufficiency as an animal model of newborns to study fat digestion. / Br J Nutr. 2014 Oct Vol 28.- P.1-8.
- Goncharova K, Skibo G, Kovalenko T, Osadchenko I, Ushakova G, Vovchanskii M, Pierzynowski SG. Diet-induced changes in brain structure and behavior in old gerbils // Nutr Diabetes. 2015 Jun 15;Vol.5. – P. 1-9 :e163. doi: 10.1038/nutd.2015.13.
- Goncharova, K., Ushakova, G., Kovalenko, T., Osadchenko, I., Skibo, G., Pierzynowski, S.G. Diet supplemented with pancreatic-like enzymes of microbial origin restores the hippocampal neuronal plasticity and behaviour in young pigs with experimental exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Journal of Functional Foods – V. 14. – P. 270 – 277
- Novel potential of pancreatic-like enzymes of microbial origin in exocrine pancreatic insufficiency – study on a pig model /K. Szwiec, K. Goncharova, J.L. Valverde-Piedra, G. Ushakova, T. Kovalenko, I. Osadchenko, M. Kardas, P. Świeboda, P. Podgurniak, M. Winiarczyk, E. Grochowska-Niedworok, L. Lozinska, R. Filip, S.G. Pierzynowski // Journal of Pre-Clinical and Clinical Research, 2014, Vol 8, No 2, 61-66
- Aging-related peculiarities of the distribution of myelin basic protein in cerebral structures of gerbils/ P. Koval’chuk, A. Ye. Zhdankin, G. O. Ushakova // Neurophysiology. – 2015. – Vol. 47, N 2. – P. 165-167.